Monday, August 10, 2009

Healing Stone Therapy

I finally have stones at my massage practice! I have the smooth basalt stones for hot stone massage (what most people think of when they think "stones" and "massage" together). But, I also have marble stones for cold stone massage.


Now, if a client came to me and wanted a full body hot stone massage for relaxation, that wouldn't be out of the ordinary. But I wouldn't perform a full body cold stone massage. Rather, I combine the hot and cold stones. This is perfect for deep tissue work, for a client who really wants to release tension in the soft tissue. I alternate between the hot basalt stone and cold marble stone. The hot stones promote flexibility and suppleness, while the cold stones reduce inflammation and pain. This combination flushes the muscles, detoxifying them. It also allow the soft tissue to release tension.


For example, when a client needs deep work to their shoulder, I usually stretch and sculpt the scapula (shoulder blade), working the rhomboids (in between your scapulae) and subscapularis muscles (sub= under, scapularis=scapula). On a client who is very tight in this area, I might not be able to get under the scapula. But, if I flush the muscle by applying alternating hot and cold stones, I can take the flat disc of a cold marble stone and slip it completely under the scapula. And the client doesn't feel any pain or discomfort. They just feel relief!


Pricing is available at www.stephaniehaddock.com

No comments:

Post a Comment