Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Detoxifing!

I've decided to try a detox/purification program. I've always wanted to do it, but most of the detoxing methods I've heard about or seen are something crazy or unappealing. The program I'm on, recommended by my chiropractor, who places emphasis on nutrition and not just adjustments, allows for all the fruits and vegetables I can eat, which is okay by me. The program emphasizes supplements and whole, unprocessed foods, particularly vegetables and fruits, and limits high-calorie refined foods and saturated fats.

I am not allowed to have:
*Alcohol, caffeine, tobacco or other stimulants
*Nuts or seeds
*Dairy
*Grains (with a couple of exceptions)
*Processed or refined foods

What I can eat:
*Unlimited amount of fresh or frozen veggies (nothing canned or dried, organic if possible, and at least half of my veggies should be raw)
*Unlimited amount of fresh or frozen fruits as long as I eat twice as many veggies (again, nothing canned or dried and organic if possible)
*Lentils, brown rice and wild rice (thank goodness!)
*Lean protein, like fish and chicken; I can cook the protein any way I wish, but nothing cured, smoked or preserved in any way (like luncheon meats); my chiropractor said I could have quinoa, too
*High-quality oils like extra virgin olive, coconut, fish, flax seed, grape seed, and real butter (really?! hooray!)
*Water
*Juice, if freshly squeezed; nothing processed or with added sugar

It's a 21-day program. During the first seven days, I'll take three supplements: seven SP Cleanse capsules three times a day(!), SP Complete (protein powder) and Whole Food Fiber. Days 8-21 will continue with the protein and fiber powders, but will switch from SP Cleanse to SP Green Food, five capsules twice a day. The powders I mix into a "shake"; I take fresh or frozen fruits and veggies and blend them into a smoothie to which I add the powders. I should have two or three of these per day. The SP Cleanse capsules are to be taken on an empty stomach or with one of my smoothies. Days 1-10 are also protein-free. You add three palm-size servings a day on day 11.

A serving of supplements
It's not too much of a stretch. The only caffeine I consume is maybe one cup of green or white tea a day. I think I can have caffeine-free herbal tea. I don't smoke, but I do like wine and beer and martinis ... I think I can refrain for a while. I only have a couple of drinks a week anyway. I haven't been drinking milk or eating cereal, but I have been mixing fruit, homemade granola and plain, organic yogurt most mornings. Grains will probably be the hardest for me. I love a cracker or bread-based snack. As for processed or refined foods, my husband and I generally shop the perimeter of the grocery store, only heading down the dried pasta and seltzer aisles. Oh, and blue corn chips and organic salsa aisle.

What I am worried about is timing my meals, snacks and shakes. You can't eat a meal for one hour after having smoothie, and once you have the smoothie, you can't eat a meal for two hours. Plus, I'll miss not having yogurt for a while.

Once the 21 days are up, there is the post-purification program, which follows the suggest meal plan from days 11-21, but allows for the systematic reintroduction of foods that weren't included. It's this part that I'm actually the most excited about. Because you reintroduce things like diary and other grains one at a time, I'll be able to determine how they affect me. And this is supposed to help you reach a "new" normal, "the healthy way you will eat and live from now on."

It's been said that it only takes three weeks to make a habit. I'm hoping that changing the way I eat during this program will help change the way I view what I eat in general, how much I eat and how certain foods make me feel.

To the veggie-copter!

Just a note: Standard Process has not in any way asked me to write about my experience or their products. They have not provided me with supplements for that or any other purpose.

2 comments:

  1. Great! Let me know how it goes. Kevin hooked me up with an aryvedic practitioner in St. Lucia. I could only sustain that for 2 weeks. This detox sounds totally doable - enough time to loose some weight before the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Natural has a good juice bar, their carrot ginger wheatgrass is mighty tasty...good luck!

    ReplyDelete